Leslieanne John

When I get older, I would like to attain my PhD in Psychology, Sociology or Anthropology, along with a masters degree in African-American Studies. After that I plan on going to law school and pass the bar for the Tri-State Area and California. Law has always been my passion whether it's Entertainment, Patent, Intellectual Property, or even Criminal.  I would like to have a technology background in order to be fully operational in this technology driven world.

"Meet somebody like Leslieanne John, the young woman who sang the national anthem this afternoon.  (Applause.)  Leslieanne is in the 11th grade, she’s already taken eight college classes, which is about as many as I took when I was in college.  (Laughter.)  She knows she has a great opportunity here, she’s working hard to make the most of it.  Eventually, she plans to become a lawyer.  

And Leslieanne is clear-eyed about the challenges that the students here face.  She put it in a way that a lot of people can relate to -- she said, “We see a whole bunch of craziness going on in the streets of Crown Heights sometimes.”  That’s what she said.  But she also said that being here at P-TECH taught her something important:  “There’s more for us than just the streets.”  (Applause.)  And she said that, “At the end of the day, we’ve got to make something of ourselves.”  And that’s important -- that’s important." -President Barack Obama

This speech was given roughly five months ago and since then I have completed four more college courses and have earned 32 college credits. I am currently a full time college student at New York City College of Technology. Being that I have chosen the CST path, I have earned exactly half of the credits that I need for my Associates of Applied Science degree.

During the course of this Summer internship, I would like to gain more knowledge in the technology field in addition to having the ability to apply what I have already learned.